Launched in 2010, with over 450,000 vehicles produced at the Mulhouse plant in France, the second-generation Citroën C4 is being updated in 2015 with a new light signature, new technologies and the latest-generation engines.
Setting the standard for comfort in its segment, the Citroën C4 is a compact hatchback with an elegant design, all-round comfort and outstanding driveability – all proof of Citroën’s creativity and technological know-how.
The Citroën C4 New Range is available to order now, with first UK deliveries expected in April.
Citroën C4 New Range updates include:
- A new light signature that makes the front end more expressive with LED running lights and a more dynamic touch to the rear with new 3D-effect tail lights.
- New upholstery materials and a simpler dashboard featuring a new centrally located 7-inch Touchscreen.
- Comfort is increased with standard-setting acoustic features, optional massaging front seats and apanoramic glass roof equipped with an electric blind. The Citroën C4 is also spacious thanks to its2.61m wheelbase, split folding rear seats and a boot volume of 408 litres, which sets the standard in this segment.
- More usefultechnologies, with the introduction of hands-free keyless entry & start and a new 7-inch Touchscreen that groups all the media and navigation functions together. Features designed to simplify driving include Hill Start Assist, Intelligent Traction Control and a Blind Spot Monitoring system.
- Latest-generation engines that enhance driveability and reduce fuel consumption. The 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engines and BlueHDi Diesels all meet Euro 6 standards.
The Citroën C4 New Range will also adopt the new trim level names: Touch, Feel and Flair.
The Citroën C4 New Range chrome chevrons connect the headlights and the ribbed bonnet, curving into the wings to make the front end immediately recognisable.
The new headlights, with two 3D-effect chrome-finished modules on a gloss black background, also give the Citroën C4 New Range an updated look. LEDs add expression to the slender lights to create a unique light signature.
The new rear 3D-effect lights highlight the sleek, wide tailgate. Touches of chrome on the front and rear bumpers, and the weather strips, plus the new 17-inch ‘Miami’ alloy wheels (available as part of the Plus Pack), enhance the model’s premium appearance.
The C4 New Range is available in a choice of nine colours, of which two are new (Platinum Grey and Spirit Grey).
Inside, the Citroën C4 New Range features a modern, uncluttered dashboard with a new 7-inch Touchscreen. The seats offer generous support for a comfortable ride and are available with new upholstery choices, including Black/Grey ‘Rayados’ cloth on Feel models and Grey ‘Liberal’ cloth on Flair models.
The interior of the Citroën C4 is exceptionally well appointed, with the finest materials in the segment found throughout. There are even touches of chrome on the steering wheel, air vents and gear lever.
The Citroën C4 New Range is designed to offer the driver and passengers comfort, peace-of-mind and a unique motoring experience.
The Citroën C4 features superb on-road handling and precision steering that translates into exceptional safety and stress-free driving. Proven technologies, such as McPherson-type front suspension, a flexible transverse beam at the rear and electro-hydraulic steering reflect Citroën’s engineering know-how and contribute to high standards of comfort and driveability. The Citroën C4 also delivers excellent body roll control and responds well in evasive or emergency manoeuvres.
Technologies to aid the driver, such as Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Emergency Braking Assistance and Intelligent Traction Control coupled with ESC, contribute to the car’s well-balanced road handling.
COMFORT IN THE CABIN
- Comfortable seats, including the availability of a massage function with electric lumbar adjustment (option only).
- A windscreen with an angle of 27° for optimum visibility.
- A large panoramic sunroof measuring 1.3m², with an electric blind, allowing plenty of light into the car (option only).
- Excellent acoustics; the Citroën C4 sets the standard here, with noise absorbed close to its source. Technologies include the addition of soundproofing film in the windscreen, vibration absorbers in the engine compartment and sealing barriers on the bodyshell and doors.
- Also available is a high-performance audio system, using sound spatialisation technology, and a DENON Hi-Fi system with a digital amplifier, rear tweeters and subwoofers.
- A driving position with all controls within easy reach, a 12V socket and a torch in the boot.
SPACE AND VERSATILITY
The Citroën C4 boasts space, versatility and convenience. It provides plenty of interior space, with a 2.61m wheelbase and a rear seat with ample elbowroom of 1.45m.
Citroën C4’s dimensions are unchanged, with a length of 4.33m, width of 1.79m and height of 1.49m. Its boot volume of 408 litres is one of the largest in the category. All that space is useable too.
The Citroën C4 offers generous storage with a large glovebox, door pockets in the front that are large enough for a 1.5 litre bottle, drawers under the front seats, storage space on the dashboard and under the front armrest. It is also as versatile as ever, with split folding rear seats (2/3 – 1/3) and a ski trap to carry long, cumbersome objects.
The Citroën C4 New Range makes daily life simpler and more delightful with an array of useful and intuitive technologies.
One example is the new 7-inch Touchscreen, which is available as an option on the Feel trim level and standard on Flair versions. Besides streamlining the dashboard visually, this new screen groups:
- The controls of a new Touchscreen navigation system that displays the map, speed limits, takes account of traffic conditions and suggests the most fuel-efficient route (option only).
- Media (including radio, audio streaming and portable-device connectivity).
- Telephone (hands-free functionality via Bluetooth®, directory access and double-call management).
- Vehicle settings.
TECHNOLOGIES FOR EASY, TROUBLE-FREE DRIVING
Smart technologies that make driving easier and trouble-free include:
- Keyless entry & start allowing the vehicle to be unlocked and started while the electronic key remains in the driver’s pocket (optional on Feel and Flair versions).
- Intelligent Traction Control (ITC) provides better grip on slippery surfaces by detecting conditions that make it difficult to start and move forward. In these situations, the ITC replaces the anti-slip regulation (ASR) and transfers the drive force to the wheel with the best grip, to maximise traction and keep the car moving in the right direction.
- Hill Start Assistis an electric parking brake that automatically holds the vehicle steady for two seconds to allow an easy start on gradients of over 3%.
- Front fog lights with static cornering function. These lights shine an additional beam on the inside of corners, improving visibility and safety when turning at night. They are activated in two ways: when the turn signal is engaged or when the angle of the turning wheel reaches 60°. They light up an angle of up to 75° on either side of the vehicle (Flair versions only).
- An ultrasonic Blind Spot Monitoring System that warns the driver when a vehicle is in a blind spot, with an orange diode in the corner of the door mirrors. Consisting of four sensors in the front and rear bumpers, this system is activated at speeds between 10mph and 70mph. It monitors the area from the door mirrors to approximately 5m behind the rear bumper and 3.5m on either side of the vehicle (Plus Pack only).
The Citroën C4 New Range features new Euro 6-compliant engines that combine fuel efficiency with high standards of performance: there are two PureTech petrol engines and four BlueHDi Diesel engines.
PureTech 110 and PureTech 130 S&S
Designed and manufactured in France, PureTech engines (a new family of 3-cylinder petrol powerplants) incorporate innovative technologies to deliver up to 25% lower fuel consumption.
Based on the 3-cylinder architecture of the naturally aspirated engines in the PureTech family, the turbocharged versions are equipped with an advanced, high-performance turbo compressor (240,000rpm) and a central high-pressure direct injection system (200bars).
To withstand the additional stress borne by turbocharged engines, compared with naturally aspirated engines, many parts have been strengthened:
- The aluminium cylinder head is reinforced with copper to withstand heavy loads.
- The aluminium engine block (also used in the naturally aspirated version) is heat-treated and the sleeves are coated with aluminium for better heat removal.
- The crankshaft is steel (replacing the cast iron used for the naturally aspirated versions).
- The valves are hollow and contain sodium to better cool the valve heads.
- The connecting rods are ultra-high-performance steel (high-yield strength, high mechanical resistance, high fatigue resistance).
- The engine is lubricated by a variable flow oil pump, with the pressure regulated by the engine control system to precisely adjust the flow and pressure to requirements.
The PureTech 110 engine with manual gearbox delivers maximum power of 109bhp at 5,500rpm and torque of 151ft lbs at 1,500rpm, with performance from 60.1mpg combined cycle and 110g of CO2per km with ultra-low rolling resistance tyres.
The PureTech 130 S&S engine now comes with either a 6-speed manual or a new 6-speed Automatic transmission named EAT6 – the brand’s latest 6-speed auto-adaptive Automatic. Delivering a maximum output of 129bhp at 5,500rpm and torque of 170ft lbs at 1,750rpm, the PureTech 130 S&S engine makes the Citroën C4 responsive and wonderfully agreeable to drive.
BlueHDi 100, BlueHDi 100 S&S, BlueHDi 120 S&S and BlueHDi 150 S&S
Since the end of 2013, Citroën has rolled-out a new generation of diesel engines called BlueHDi. These drastically reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions and lower CO2 emissions by up to 4%, thus providing technology to comply with the more stringent Euro 6 regulations.
Both the BlueHDi 100 and the BlueHDi 100 S&S have a capacity of 1,560cm3 and deliver maximum power of 98bhp at 3,750rpm, with torque of 187ft lbs at 1,750rpm (higher than the preceding generation of powerplants). The BlueHDi 100 S&S variant delivers combined cycle fuel economy of 85.6mpg with CO2emissions as low as 86g/km.
The Stop & Start technology offers numerous advantages including zero noise when the car is stopped, lower fuel consumption and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. The engine cuts out when you come to a stop, the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch pedal is released. When the clutch pedal is pressed down again, the engine restarts within approximately 500ms, or less than the time needed to shift into gear.
The BlueHDi 120 S&S with a 6-speed manual gearbox delivers a 78.5mpg combined cycle fuel economy and CO2 emissions of 95g/km with ultra-low rolling resistance tyres. This engine has a capacity of 1,560cm3and delivers maximum power of 119bhp at 3,500rpm with 221ft lbs of torque at 1,750rpm.
A BlueHDi 120 S&S EAT6 powertrain will be available on Feel and Flair versions from May 2015 production.
It will deliver up to 74.3mpg combined cycle fuel economy and CO2 emissions from 98g/km with ultra-low rolling resistance tyres.
The BlueHDi 150 S&S engine, mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox, has a capacity of 1,997 cm3, which delivers maximum power of 149bhp at 4,000rpm with 273ft lbs of torque at 2000rpm. This engine also achieves a combined cycle fuel economy of 74.3mpg and 98g/km CO2 emissions.
Citroën’s BlueHDi engines already meet the future Euro 6 standard thanks to an innovatively structured exhaust line with a unique set of technologies, including:
- An oxidation catalyser, located at the engine exhaust manifold, to eliminate the hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) coming from the fuel combustion.
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) located upstream of the particulate filter to transform up to 90% of nitrogen oxide (NOx) into water vapour (H2O) and nitrogen (N2), both non-toxic, through the injection of Adblue®* (a mixture of water and urea), while decreasing CO2 emissions by up to 4%.
- An additive particulate filter, invented by PSA Peugeot Citroën, which made its world debut in 2000.
The filter eliminates the number of particulates by up to 99.9%.